Re: Thunder Oaks' use of magical effects

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_54863_G4ZUhco78OarzBE07hXRcB0fmmhyQnEIZPTFiBaNnC_g7moby7DTJK5JPvz9b>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:22:23 -0500

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Jeff <richaje_at_IbzkdKS7I4f3-boLqRpcRyutKxPMBkuYf5k_HH2kDl2ahXGg2lZv7NaqjLR4xq857PUzahNoki7D.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Peter -
>

> You have a very good grasp of the rules! A few minor comments (mainly of
> the "you are correct" variety):

Thanks! I have been puzzling over the rules for a few weeks, hoping to get my game restarted.

> > No, as far as I can tell, it's because he is sealed to Orlanth, and
> Orlanth
> > doesn't have the Communication Rune. If he Initiated to Issaries, he
> could
> > use Communication actively, but Air and Movement would be "augment only."
> > Obviously, a PC would be unlikely to make that choice, but there are
> > probably a few Issarians who have messed up Rune structures like this
> (maybe
> > they are destined to become *very* good communicators -- blame the whims
> of
> > the gods).
>
> Again, you are correct. However, you can initiate to more than one cult. So
> you could be an initiate of Orlanth ("unlocking" Air and Movement) and of
> Issaries ('unlocking" Communication).

I had not thought of that. My impression is that double initiation is pretty rare among the Orlanthi, and 3+ initiations almost unheard of (with the pssoble exception of "specialized initiations" to ruling gods for Chiefs and so on -- So Kallyr Initiated to Orlanth via Vinga, later Initiated to Polaris, then, when she became Queen Initiated to the Dar subcult (although, in HQ2, it looks like Initiations 1 and 3 might not be as separate as they were in HQ1).

Thank you for the clarifications. I feel like I have a much better grasp of things.

In general, I think this system is a real step forward. By reserving all the "feat goodies" for the Devotees in HQ1, it made it much less enticing to play Initiates, which meant that none of my players wanted to mess around with the very "rich texture" elements in Common Magic and Pantheon Magic. This makes all that much more playable. Although I notice in HQ2, p 111, it seems like Initiates can learn feats -- I assume that this means that they can pay a smaller amount of HP to boost an often used magical attack rather than being able to learn actual feats with cool extra powers, which should be the reward for unswerving devotion to a narrow aspect of your god/religion. The fanatics should get some fun....

Peter Larsen