Re: Sartar: KoH - Kangharl questions!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_6NAQkL4HJxsRlgBPqVbAubJdSXhge7w9NQ4tpZpV7a2ggP_uVcY6Qll6wx5Dupc7xvr>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:13:30 +1300

On 2/21/2010 11:41 AM, Undead Trout wrote:
> There's one answer that I've yet to see here for why Blackmor's pet
> sorcerers do not rat him out to Fazzur...

Why would they rat out their boss to a rival and a Tarshite at that? Fazzur isn't even in their team.

The thing you have to remember is that the Lunars are split by factional and political allegiances; at the broadest level these are the Dara Happans, the Carmanians, the Tarshites, the Sylilans etc. They are not going to pass information to each other out of the goodness of their hearts let along the glory of the Red Moon. They are there to maximize their own power and prestige and if there's any important information to be traded, they damn well expect a reward.

Take for example Blackmor. He's a powerful King and probably aspires to ruling Sartar at some point. As such, he is a treat to Tarshite interests as they want all Dragon Pass for themselves (among other places). There are plenty of people around who hate Tarsh (namely the Sylilans, the upper echelons of the Lunar Provincial Government, the Dara Happans etc) and they are likely to nurture Blackmor as an asset who can work against Tarshite hegemony. So Blackmor's sorcerers are less likely to be Tarshites and more likely to be from his patrons.

Likewise consider Hofstaring's hands being returned. Who's the guy on watch? Fazzur. Who is likely to lose prestige if something bad happens? Fazzur. Is it in their interests to report Blackmor to Fazzur? Or would it be better to give a vague warning to Fazzur that fails to convey anything important yet at the same time can be described as a clear warning if something bad happens?

--Peter Metcalfe