Re: Sartar: KoH - Kangharl questions!

From: gregory_molle <molle.gregory_at_vyE0thMw7lpNFIjHdkZHkct2HCTNKpr7TvAwhjXXvMdHl-qZVzkfLN7wB4qC_7>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:43:09 -0000

> Hal Bowman wrote:
> Why does Kangharl act like this?

In our game, the players came to Kangharl with a gift --> marginal victory.

Kangharl said : "OK, try to marry this girl, and steal these Red Hands if necessary... but when it's done, I'm sure you'll find a way to convince her to be a good girl, not to have seditious activities like her bloody father! We have to change, and you will help me! Swear it!".

The players, first happy to get the support of Kangharl, but finally surprised and helpless, accepted to take an oath. What do you think the reaction of the lunar sorcerers was? They smiled. ;-)

About Fazzur, this is what happened: the PC succeeded in stealing the Hands during Temertain's banquet (I won't tell the complete story today but it was fun and the players deserved their success); they finally came back to Ernalsulva and her mother. As suggested in the campaign, Fazzur did'nt really try to prevent the PC from doing that: why?

  1. Things were sudden, spectacular and quick, so much so that the players learned something important: even mighty NPC like Temertain or Fazzur are likely to be surprised when they are confronted with a daring individual action. (Eh, we play "HeroQuest", not "Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck RPG"!)
  2. Temertain is humiliated and furious. You know what? Fazzur loves that. Because he despises Temertain. And because the Hands are finally less important for him than the fact that Temertain will probably try to take his revenge. Ha! At last, Temertain is going to do something useful, like, well... subdue undisciplined sartarite barbarians? Cool. Why should be Fazzur unhappy? Of course, Temertain is "impotent" and has no "authority" to do that (S:KoH p. 311, "Temertain's response"). But in our game, I think Temertain, maybe advised by Fazzur, will use Killer Branduan, imprisoned in the Stone Room because of the duel at the Temple of Death (he had no gift likely to mellow Temertain... and no sex story with Estal Donge!). "Swear you and your kin will raid harshly the Orlmarth and you are free!", that kind of deal... Really, Fazzur should love that. ;-)

Gregory