Re: Pol Joni

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_bAoKlY21zhMNeue1H9nkr66o_NYi-TVR7jLvfEDLigQ0aFcEVgDyZZ7oJSuaHnLk>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:43:16 -0800 (PST)

Richard Hayes asks:

> 4. Nowadays how accurate is the description of the Paps from Cults of
> Prax?  Does the Paps still have priestesses associated with extinct
> tribes like the Plains Elk and the Long-Noses? If so, where do these
> priestesses come from?

The description is accurate. Yes, they do have priestesses associated with the lost and hidden tribes.

Peter suggests:
> The positions are given to ambitious priestesses determined to prove
> themselves and are unwilling to wait for the retirement of their long-lived superiors.

That seems right to me, along with both of the implications: 1.    A truly impressive young priestess might be given that duty because she needs to be at the Paps. 2.    A truly annoying older priestess might be given that duty as punishment or revenge or to side-track her politically.

Richard asks, of the Malkioni-influenced Heortlanders:
> However what I thought I knew is that it does not obviously suggest that even a small but significant minority
> of any of these groups would give up what they had for a nomadic lifestyle in Prax-- indeed it seems like a
> bigger leap for them than it was for those who founded the Poljoni. Although if the non-Brithini Leftarmers' lot
> was wretched enough,  there could be a reason for some of them to flee and adopt a nomadic existence on the plains
>
> Is there an interesting pre-existing story as to how this could have happened, or are we in uncharted territory here?

I think it is uncharted territory and would not be true In My Glorantha.

But, if it is true In Your Glorantha, a possible story would be around Knight Fort, in south-west Prax. It was probably founded to defend against incursions from Praxians. I would imagine that its staffing has varied up and down with the power of whoever is in charge of Heortland. During times when the king (or whoever) abandoned maintenance of the fort, some people stayed around and their descendants became pastoralist over time. At first, they probably stayed close to the fort and would retreat inside whenever Praxians came by. When the next wave of support came from Heortland, the now-local pastoralists probably got pushed to even less desirable land and became nomadic. Then the king withdraws again, etc. Eventually, you've built up a small pastoral clan. When something bad happens, it leaves the area and becomes genuine nomadic.

Alternatively, some of the folks at Knight Fort go native in a spectacular enough way for people to follow them into a nomadic lifestyle. That woudl be a pretty odd heroquest, but you never know.

Chris