Re: Dead on Topic - Insight into VERY early religion

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_Ck1Hj48PmUhdQsNvovMca9LUof91pBypoMWTp9cDZMeKbiqhBKiDV0yABUR_Uwydt>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:13:53 -0800

YGWV On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM, <hcarteau_at_fn9i8O-sCAyXiUiuY5k5SwwXN-AtnrtPD5BBkZEt1XoDDN_sgkVrtCdkuY93_mdoWhfCoNesmTSI.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> /// Thanks for showing us that, it's very interesting. The article in
> wikipedia
> says archeological dig started in earnest back in 1995 only. I had no idea
> this
> place existed before reading the link you provided.

I am apalled!
I have visited Gobekli Tepe--it is stunning, even though barely untouched. The surface of the hill is liberally poked and carved for who knows what.

> Interestingly, it's close to another site called Nahal Hemar, which
> strongly
> reminds me of Hrelar Amali. I do think some glorantha scholar did know of
> this
> place long ago and "pilfered" and modified the name, exactly as Dara Happa
> is
> inspired from Harappa in India !

Interesting, though I will confess I never heard of that place.

> Back to potbelly hill (Göbekli Tepe in turkish) : it seems to have been
> built by
> hunter-gatherers 11.500 years ago and abandonned (and buried by man) when
> agriculture developped. In Glorantha, it makes me think of the Eol tribes
> monoliths clusters !

Good thought!
A key here is that they didn't just abandon it, they BURIED it after a thousand years or so of use!!
I have my theories on it, but there is so little uncovered that any speculation right now is just theoretical.

Here is a picture of me next to the oldest life-sized statue of a human in the universe known so far.

If I ever get the time, I'll be posting more of these on my site. Some day. when I have time.

--Greg

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer