Re: When Worlds Collide

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_oqsjDPMtSFzNVOxIZSuqthEcq1OdhoUuNaYwBKah3P3gLaW3AQd1Uf85VdP_nYy7>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:37:25 -0800 (PST)

Stephen Tempest gives alternatives on what happened to the mystic otherworld. I agree with Charles Corrigan that the mystic otherworld became the mundane world. All of the denizens of the mystic plane either transcended it or became mundane. It's true In My Glorantha.

One thing that I like about this story is that it gives an explanation for some "natural" magic that people have. This is the mystic magic that didn't transcend. In particular, I think there are two mystic paths: Apollo and Dionysus. For those that reject asceticism, their magic is about transcending the world by becoming it. Some of them succeeded in the "become it" part, but not the "thus transcend it" part.

Now, some might say that we need to know what the mystic plane would have been like before the great collision. I disagree. We don't know what any of the other three planes were "really" like back then. All we have are stories. And those stories are very similar in nature: so-and-so went some-place and did some-thing great or wicked. There's very little of the "how" about it. There are certainly some flavors to those stories that may hint at future methods -- for example, the stories about the various movements or actions in the west tie the western societies to logic as a method. I'd expect mystic stories to have recurrent themes like characters "reaching beyond" or something like that.

Chris Lemens