Re: Left Hand Mysticism

From: Santo Sengupta <aumshantih_at_6CwIdPc8vkgTaVwl5Te9CnSHf4qqxE6oB8FEoV42AWOY2tXhu4cjauaX9lDH9MZmj>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:18:15 -0500

Namaste:

The word "tantra" in the west has frequent sexual connotations. In actuality the meaning is much more complex in actual practice.

It roots come the Sanskrit words meaning "weave".

One very simple way to classify Vedic Hinduism is to say that is focuses intently on the mental/spiritual/energetic aspects of existence, and says the physical/material world is an illusion or a trap. (Maya, is used.) In classic terms, the Soul is called Purusha, which is masculine, outside of time, and our true selves. Seekers try to fixate on that and gain enlightenment.

Tantric Hinduism (and Buddhism, and other faiths) say that the material world is meant to be a tool that is used to drive us further in our spiritual pursuits. In classic terms, Nature is called Prakriti, which is feminine, makes up all reality, and is frequently a hinderance to enlightenment. Tantrics believe that they can transform nature ("weave" it, if you will) and become better vessels for the divine. One must perfect the vehicle of the body to gain more spiritual insight.

Even amongst Tantrics there are right and left handed practices. Most of the sexual tantra that has become so popular in the West is a small part of the Vamamarga (left handed) path of Hindu Tantra. (It may be different in Tibetan and Japanese Tantra, it's not really my field of expertise.)

---

In the Gloranthan East there are several different paths that could be considered "Tantric." All of these are mentioned in Revealed Mythologies.

Venforn was the Immense Master, who started to realize that one could become Unified with the World by integrating spirits within the "six jewels" of our bodies.

He had two students.
Sivoli was the "right handed" master. He developed the Six Selective Restraints, which kept people on a righteous and confined path, and that lead to Unification. (And probably awesome martial arts powers.)

Kamboli was the "left handed" master. He developed the Six Selective Indulgences, which let people revel in their senses, which also could lead to Unification.

And of course the Antigods perverted both of these teachings - namely developing this Restraints and Indulgences, and then breaking them horribly for short term power.

-Santo

aum shanti shanti shantih.
"The world is like the impression left by the telling of a story." - from the Yoga Vāsiṣṭha