Re: Questions about Draconism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_YEiTBFjSyW3cbKl4S1HzTgy0gufV1cX3_P3ClztsF-tBhrVJrIMn9jR4lh-RJaQi4Zq>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:14:34 +1300

On 3/10/2010 7:37 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> So in terms of numbers, will Draconism be the "Fourth Philosophy"
> instead of Mysticism(even if it doesn't have its own otherworld, but
> draws on aspects of the other three)?

No. The Four philosophies is a God Learnerism strongly embedded within their monomyth. Even if a good argument were to be made that Draconism rather than mysticism should be the fourth philosophy, the God Learners would still reject it (for instance, the Abiding Book has four interpretations - the literal, the moral, the allegorical and the mystical. Now if the mystical were replaced with the draconic, it wouldn't be a good look, would it?).

> How different will [[EWF, Kralori and Dragonewt] be? Will they all
> contain elements of Spirit Magic, Theism and Sorcery, or will
> indviduals choose a 'cult' within a mixed pantheon that is dedicated
> to one kind of magic only?

There's far more than just three types of draconism IMO. Kralori for instance would have nine forms, one for every dragon emperor (plus three non-draconic imperial traditions). The EWF was riven with schisms in the tales of Ingolf and Godunya while the Dragonewts of Dragon Pass seem to have problems based on the dinosaurs, magisaurs and barbarian 'newts that are found within their territory and who knows what the 'newts of Ormsland, Ryzel and Fanzai are like?

> In game mechanics terms, the EWF cults in MRQ1 seemed to be a bit
> like conventional divine cults with divine magic, only with a
> cult-specific ritual Dance (like a Feat?), and a pyramid-selling
> aspect to the cults' hierarchies.

I never liked the description of pyramid selling because it has a strong sense of fraud which is not actually inherent in the description of EWF society that we are given. The EWF had a pyramidial set-up but then so does the Lunar Empire, the Rokari Church, Kralorela and any other centralized magicial societies in glorantha.

> Given the innate conservatism of both cultures, how different will
> Kralori dracoonism and dragonewts' draconism be in the Third Age
> compared to how they were in the Second Age?

Well the Kralori Draconism in the Imperial Age was based on the Immanent Masters which is little more than a mafia cult in the modern Age. Kralorela only projects the image of innate conservatism, in reality it's riven with spiritual fads and frauds like the rest of glorantha.

 > and later emperors will have laid new alternatives
> on top of the ones that existed in the Second Age (but without
> totalling eradicating the paths created by earlier emperors), but
> what else?

There are only three emperors in all of Kralorela during the time period that we are talking about - Yanoor who was overthrown by the God Learners, Shang Hsa who was installed by them but later split and grew closer to the EWF and Godunya.

Secondly the Kralori Emperors do not even think about eradicating the paths of earlier emperors. They are hallowed by tradition and continue. The Mandarins were created by Mikaday and survive to this day. The Imperial Army and Navy was created by Vayobi and survives to this day.

Shang Hsa created or promoted the Immanent Masters. Since he was a False Emperor (by modern standards), his path to draconic wisdom should be eradicated? Hardly. The Immanent Masters are strong in the lawless parts of Kralorela dominating it like a mafia or secret society. And then there's the Tongs which are descended from the anti-draconic traditions created by Sekever (the Evil Emperor who ruled during the Great Darkness). Plans of eradicating the Tongs are little more than wishful thinking by the Kralori Authorities.

> Will the leading martial artists of Glorantha now practice some form
> of Draconism instead of Mysticism?

No. The magic of martial arts can simply be treated by spells, feats or charms. Only the majority of martial artists of Kralorela can said to be draconic while the Vithelans are still in a mystical frame of mind.

--Peter Metcalfe