Re: Bee goddesses?

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_pJmMP5yTr_s6BtRJfJtv_XX2CHufsQSTkDOJnoFieEOMRhizN9YOMk0u3SaN>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:39:51 +0000 (GMT)

I like a lot of the ideas below.

FWIW here are my own initial ideas on the same subject.

In somewhere as myth-rich as Glorantha I think there should be at least one myth to justify the differences between bees and wasps, both of which are black with yellow stripes. Critically, bees make honey and bees die after they sting-- wasps don't. . Maybe there should be at least two, as the wasps and the bees probably have different takes on the same story, if not different stories?

Because wasps are black and yellow too (and have their own mythology,  e.g. the Wasp-riders of Dragon Pass) and wasps often have more yellow on them than bees (especially compared to the honey bees (mostly of Mexican descent) found in England), maybe it is too simplistic to say that bees' yellow or gold stripes denote some connection with Fire/Light? Or maybe this is still true, but there is a further twist in the tale to explain why bees and wasps are now so different?

If I remember correctly,there is a Gloranthan myth that vultures were once golden and beautiful, but were cursed by Yelm for not loyally following him to Hell. Is it therefore possible that bees were once from the sky rather than darkness, but Fell in some way (though not totally as they still have some gold stripes).

Two randon ideas have come to me:

Did they fall from the sky with Lodril? (honey, and mead made from honey, might be a bit too 'earthy' and hedonistic to stay in the Sky Realm for ever); and/or Did bees then get closer to Darkness (as slaves or allies) after Lodril was defeated by Argan Argar? and/or Did bees find protection with the Storm Tribe (via Minlister and/or Voria) after Yelm went to the Underworld?

Finally in the real world the beehive is sometimes used as a symbol of hard work, strong community spirit and civic pride (e.g. in Utah and in Manchester, England. They may even have a common source, as (iirc) many early Mormons hailed from the Northwest of England). Do any Gloranthan cities/cultures adopt similar imagery?

Richard Hayes