Re: Voriof (once was Bee Goddesses)

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_nURQ5hZqEvaGqp-4ZqfIK-9jPDe41vh9ggkUd6wlSyRG79v64AFJ8jyQEQysyPea>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:41:29 -0000

Richard Hayes :

> Sure, but why do two (apparently) different sons of Orlanth have the same name?

Just as the lamb grows to become the ram, so the boy grows to become the man, and the son becomes the father.

Why else is there any metamorphosis among the gods ? I'm sure there are a hundred other reasons why :-)

Voriof's story is among other things that of his passage from boyhood to manhood, and it is only natural that transformations and metamorphoses should be a part of Voriof. They are the same transformations that the boys of the Orlanthi will undergo at childhood's end.

But this is not the be-all and end-all of Voriof, he is *also* the brave fighting ram lost out in the wilderness without his flock ; he is *also* the laconic and reflective god of the shepherd folk ; he is *also* one of the lambs in Heler's great flock ; he is *also* the beloved son of Orlanth and Ernalda ; he is *also* a strong and doughty Thunder Brother ; and he is *also* one of a hundred other things that could be listed here :-)

Julian Lord