Re: Voriof (once was Bee Goddesses)

From: David Dunham <david_at_9F5ly6g__Gi55nkDNk2PEjGIiqEDd5RydEdAHMAgCHmGHlivc0LbLE1LuH9E0BABE0LK4m>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:22:14 -0700

On 21 Mar 2010, at 14:31, Jeff wrote:

> According to the standard lists, Orlanth has 49 different names. Some of those names describe things that are completely different from each other, like Poet, Defthands, Ram, and Breaker of Bonds. Sometimes these names are even worshiped as separate gods like Pelanth and the Bringer of Death. But they are all Orlanth.

FWIW, I just finished rereading Gene Wolfe's excellent "Soldier of the Mist." In it, gods are ALWAYS referred to by their titles. Probably not unreasonable for Gloranthans (though as players, I'm much happier using "Orlanth" instead of having to learn the 49).

Soldier of the Mist also has a good explanation of how titles all refer to the same god.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein