Re: Dealing with Mermen : questions about aluminium

From: roadsgoeveron <daveolloyd_at_Z52UwVk2DLsfBNIDlY2gYNfJnCeA9gUA22d7AnyyybO3jb8B98g_cCmoKG2S9nAUo>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:50:17 -0000

Hi!

But where do
> you find aluminium ? Why would it be on land rather than in the seas ? Is the
> "raw material" always in quicksilver (liquid) form ?

Aluminum can logically be found anywhere the sea gods were defeated (killed) during the Godtime and left their bones behind. (This is also why you find it on land). IIRC, at least a couple of sources have stories (or maps) about the Thunder Brothers reclaiming lands from the sea to the southwest of Dragon Pass, so I suspect that Wenelia is actually a good place to find aluminum. There is also a mine in Erigia, I think, although that's a bit far from Wenelia.

In the real world, aluminum was very hard to mine (or refine) until modern times. Quicksilver is refined from cinnabar, I believe, and has been mined since ancient times.

Thanks,
David.