Dealing with Mermen : questions about aluminium

From: hcarteau_at_je7koeuftqmqiKJICHs07SitfYgsECo6eb67f8Z0mSRSSpscCp98tEtVw6bDcPttyCL
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:02:21 +0100

Selon jeffkyer <jakyer_at_3ZLG_0pEIgAv_9sKzSw_rlecbliz1t_8B-YUpak3cldmcuQCHYOJdD6r1BBHhtrAa4HpDRwoL6c.yahoo.invalid>:

> There are several shores and former shores in Wenelia where this is the case.
> Petrified Sea near Jadnor would be an excellent place to start. Who knows?
> Maybe the fellows at Ft Digger might have some ideas. The seas washed up and
> broke around the mountains along the coast, never quite drowning them.
/// Yes, working Fort Digger in the search for aluminium is a cool idea but I like the Petrified Sea idea even better. I seem to remember there is a shape-changing monster prowling it.

> Again, you are probably looking at luxury goods as well - adornments and the
> like. Gold is always a good trade item. Imperishable and easily worked.
> Certain woods, perhaps. Maybe they like the way certain items make the water
> around them taste? (read smell).

/// Interesting. Any ideas about something that would "perfume" sea water ?

> Yes, aluminum was extremely valuable until the late 19th century. Far more so
> than gold or platinum. Napoleon III was famous for having an entire enough
> aluminum dinnerware for a state dinner. Quicksilver, on the other hand, was
> known to the Babylonians and Egyptians and extracted readily from cinnabar
> and realgar. A large model of China in Emperor Qin's tomb has rivers which
> were made from quicksilver. He was buried in 3rd century BCE.
/// Very interesting. I thought aluminium was refined bauxite, but have no idea what bauxite looks like, or how it's refined into aluminium.