Re: Cinnabre et Mercure, french style

From: Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_j_vAtR_seggLoPiQahVU6CHNHKFwWMpoi_eiAiA86kvjwLHBSCadm6WnB9KCxyb-37>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:11:24 -0500

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM, <hcarteau_at_JGepS-YuYL3xis9u0mDnrXU-gHEd6zoVvg4aZ6L_vdiuve_PoQZyHPDjgvCwQrwLLNJgzK8j.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Quoting Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_OkDY5h6c8y39KDBp-ZVpJeE6zM793hMMxnXL2VrkHTIEN78Q-yAPazCi5k6sKBB-ARVCMK6B7cEqR76yngs.yahoo.invalid <guy.hoyle%40gmail.com>>:
>
> > Of course, Gloranthan metals are only approximately like their earthly
> > counterparts. Gloranthan quicksilver (called sa-metal) doesn't come from
> > cinnabar, and Gloranthan alumin(i)um (lo-metal) isn't created the same
> way
> > earthly alumin(i)um is; they're two different forms of the same metal,
> like
> > water and ice, in a way.
> >
> > This is probably explained in an email I haven't read yet, but it was
> > descibed in detail in "Elder Secrets". Has it been reprinted elsewhere?
>
> /// In Sons of Kargzant, we read about Cheka Durna, a cinnabar mine way up
> in
> Erigia where political prisonners are worked to death, and which product is
> used
> to "make red and black dyes, as well as quicksilver". But I can forget this
> one
> easy.

That's not one I'm familiar with, but since it's more recent than Elder Secrets, it probably takes precedence. If I had to reconcile the difference, I'd say that it's another form of quicksilver. This probably comes from the bones of water gods who died during the invasion of the land, or something like that. Greg and/or the author(s)may have further to say on that, of course.

Even old dogs can learn new tricks!

Guy

--
http://guy-wires.blogspot.com