Re: Voriof (once was Bee Goddesses)

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_Z8Znf9pQUWp3tzBkPhECeYhLq-e16QwSq9YbGdKTSWfnOJFCn1kAw15gqBF2qzHeCpaNO>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:11:52 -0000

Must I think about that place? Ugh. I'd rather catalog cheese from Imther. =)

> > > And I don't think Voriof would have a canine form either.
> >

> Me either, for two reasons:
> 1. It would be like pre-exploration Europeans imagining a kangaroo
> 2. Voriof isn't a dog

Not. A. Dog. Got it. There's a Blackadder sketch waiting to happen there though if you're not careful.

> > There may potentially be such a thing as an Orlanthi sheepdog, but I think
> > this would either have to be a specific Protector as Greg has suggested, or
> > some specific dog god, or possibly a shape of Heler (if your purpose was to
> > keep the idea that this dog were another shape of an established god).
> >

> Although I doubt it.
> There is a very deep clash between alynxes (aided by Orlanth) and dogs--it i
> a key to Harmast's story, in fact.

I look forward to reading it at some point. And yes, I figured there was some sort of mythological/cultural divide involved.

Since Voriof is a sort of hobby with me, I am glad to be thinking along the same lines here.

> > I'd suspect such Orlanthi would simply have a different sheep protector. It
> > wouldn't be Voriof. I just can't think of who it might be though. I
> > suppose there might be some move to supplant them via Lunar cultural
> > engineering. Tarsh, perhaps?
> >

> Read up on Saird, dog land. .

Sigh. Alright. Since you insist. I hate dogs though.

> > There are at least two Voriof subcults of Heler that I am aware of, at
> > least among the Wenelians. The Ram is more consistently worshiped as a herd
> > defender/war god (but pretty much everything in Wenelia can be a military
> > deity, I fear).
>

> Such is the rule in the Rule of Might world.

Such is life in Wenelia. Such as it is. But shepherds must defend the flocks and even a lowly bondsman or half-carl can try to get in on some plunder - even if it is only sheep-napping.

> Voriof's the ram, the lamb, and the Shepherd. He's not the alynx though
>

> Correct, that's Yinkin or his kin.
> It is a clear differentiation between them.

I'm sure there's a few coming of age stories in there too. Darn shepherds, they're a menace to women out gathering. Can't trust em. Can't exile em.

> > I just realized that the Black Oaks have dogs. However, they are war dogs.
> > Possibly sheep dogs too.
> >

> What more proof does anyone ever need of how corrupt they are?

Well, yeah. And the fact that they are Doing It Wrong is one reason why they are so dependent on raiding and tribute - they're just not getting the kind of synergies a more traditinal magical economy would provide. Well, that and the fact that the kind of person who joins that clan *likes* pillaging.

Jeff