Re: Esvulari

From: Jeff <richaje_at_4fPT2PYakMBSauKCIb1m3b5XyoJAINJhetazoR-hG9XHn0KPVJDZYHqRGIX2yczSBWxM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:14:46 -0000

> The impression that I got from HQ voices and the Tradetalk article was that they are more tolerant and less violent than the Malkioni and Orlanthi. One of their teachings, according to the Tradetalk article, is "Dialogue is the First Option, Warfare the Last", which is supposed to be a response to the Orlanthi "Violence is always an option." Of course, we have only a small amount of information on them compared to the Malkioni and especially to the Orlanthi.

Being reluctant to go to war does not necessarily make one more "tolerant" or "less violent." The Esvularings, like the Orlanthi, do not insist (or even partic'ularly desire) that outsiders worship their gods. They are loyal to Belintar and his priests, dislike the Praxians, fear the return of the Hendriki and the trolls, and tolerate (but fear) the atheists of God Forgot.

The Esvularings have formalized codes of law with punishments imposed by someone other than the aggrieved party's kin; something the Orlanthi find barbaric and cruel. If I recall from the First Age, those punishments include slavery, execution, and even corporal punishment.

Historically, the Esvularings have always been a relatively small group and have rarely had an option other than paying off their neighbors with tribute and/or allying with a more powerful neighbor. That certainly makes them less likely to go to war, but I'm not sure if that makes them nicer people.

Jeff