Re: Nice or not-so-nice Esvulari ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_BYIweOeNIrdoW2JHmhMILjYBfRCVkXs-UBNJtKEkK152ucR52eY-OdD7_vS_FEgkjAw>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:35:55 +1200

On 4/17/2010 9:40 AM, hcarteau_at_YdguJ74Vg4cYZ2-L90HdNzG_QdfcF2AZWSOngYD8HXoPEy_jmJV4MewVuaRv6l6zcy6uTSA6cUUB.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> "Nice" is a subjective word. Each culture on Glorantha has its own values, which
> make them more or less sympathetic to us 21st century westerners. In this sense,
> esvulari core values make them less alien to us than dirty praxians or bare-ass
> storm barbarians.

A good parallel for this is the Loskalmi whose values are more attractive than the Rokari yet have been transmuted into a society that is capable of being the villian of the story.

The only bad facts about the Esvulari that I know is that they once had a hero, Delelsus, who tried to become King of the Hendriki and that they have had several governors of heortland who were rather unbenign in their rule.

One way their talk first mantra could be painted as perfidy might be to give them special suggestive powers ie "These are not the gods you should be worshipping" or "You should gives us thanks and praise and one tenth of your herd". Their subjects know they're being manipulated but resistance is hard and sulking is easier.

--Peter Metcalfe