Re: Nice or not-so-nice Esvulari ?

From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at__Tc8cOYSlGxOH57gHaF5XNTluebMnk6TFGmyiMAi6Gfto6tzYbgv1JQfq9Uew7>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:44:54 -0000

> People might find the Esvularings more philosophically appealing than the Rokari (although I have great respect for the Rokari and their efforts to prevent another cataclysm caused by the wizards caste), but their "Talk First" approach does not mean that they embrace modern sensibilities. They own slaves, forbid sacrifices to the gods in their enclaves, and will ally with distant empires to gain advantages over their neighbors.
>
> Jeff

Looking through their HQ Voices entry again, I find nothing to contradict the bits about slavery and they do seem to have allied with Lunar Empire as the mother states that the Lunars "appoint our knights as sherrifs throughout Heortland and even southern Sartar", though she also seems to have some reservations about them. I'm less certain about their forbiding sacrifices to the pagan gods in their enclaves though, as she states that about half the people in the village are Hendreiki, and she advises her son to treat them as the same way he would treat Esvulari. "They may not yet have come to accept that their 'Orlanth' is really Saint Worlath, not yet been baptized into the Aeolian faith, but they are good people." I suppose the local Orlanthi are also more tolerant of sorcerous religion, or at least the Aeolians brand of it, than usual as well.

                                                    Mark Mohrfield