Re: Nice or not-so-nice Esvulari ?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_40e8DbY8e_2hAWPro-IQpSwDoTJeMDEPqSBbvkrzfU2NB2LwhGcotkNcMjwJy36_K1_t>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:24:51 -0000

> If you want 'hobbits' in Glorantha then look no further than the Esvulari in Heortland in Dragon Pass.

YGWV. The few times Esvulari make it into Greg's stories (TWWL or HHP), they aren't even remotely like hobbits. But YGWV.

If I recall correctly, hobbits were introduced into Middle Earth to be narrative characters that readers could more easily relate to than the elves, dwarfs, or even humans of Middle Earth. Tolkien threw a bit of the Midlands of his youth into Middle Earth, good folk ignorant of all the goings on in the "Big World".

The Esvularings on the other hand are acutely aware of the other Kethaelan peoples, packed as they are between God Forgot, the Hendrikings, and the Right Arm Islanders. They can see Stormwalk from their lands and the Vent across the Mirrorsea. The Esvularings worship Belintar the God-King and loyally serve him as clerks and administrators.

That doesn't sound very hobbit-like to me, but again YGWV.

Jeff