Re: Nice or not-so-nice Esvulari ?

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_-jsANCaFsXRwJeADs0kCToCSy_8TKQyt48GDXzGCAUtTAgeYjnSDwwSwb7na3E0A6H>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:53:25 -0000

> The Esvularings on the other hand are acutely aware of the other Kethaelan peoples, packed as they are between God Forgot, the Hendrikings, and the Right Arm Islanders. They can see Stormwalk from their lands and the Vent across the Mirrorsea. The Esvularings worship Belintar the God-King and loyally serve him as clerks and administrators.

They are a small people, who have never held empire. They have survived all, but are surrounded by others, of varying degrees of 'different,' many of who do have a history and culture of conquest. Any of their neighbors could be their overlords in the future, and while nobody may be eager to see them gone, nobody is going to go too far out of their way to protect them either.

Given which, I'd say: Of course they are apt to come across as 'nice' to the casual observer. Culturally they can't afford swaggering bravado, and no doubt their myths and legends don't give much support for that attitude either.

So like the Dutch or Swiss or even modern Canadians, sure they may seems nice--because that is a survival trait for their culture. That doesn't mean that they actually are nice, or generous, or forgiving, or any of that, just that they are good at not giving offense.

They may not spit in your face, you'll just find out that next year your taxes are going up for some reason that nobody you know can explain....your Esvulari neighbour will probably even be very sympathetic to your plight (but he won't mention his cousin who is a clerk for the local lord....)