Re: Rikard the HRESTOLI ???

From: Jeff <richaje_at_X43udd1zfBFAkr3PsxbY7ZFcGfoAJ8-ELQqMGY3Vs--StIzWLJJrsZpwlgUgPj-z5dbt>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:22:53 -0000

This appears to have gotten lost - I apologize if it shows up twice!

> /// Wow. That's a giant step away from the old Rikard. I'm cool with the fact he
> truly believes in what he does, but surprised by the rest. So he's not Seshnegi
> anymore, not from House d'Estau ? Where does he come from then ?

Rikard is from the Castle Coast.

Keep in mind that what you are calling the "old Rikard" was a freeform character. As someone who writes a lot of freeforms, never assume a freeform description is particularly Gloranthan - it is written for a 20-40 player game that lasts 4 to 6 hours and has maximum conflict with minimum deep Glorantha background. When I write a freeform I don't care if my characters are even remotely canonical - just fun. Frex, I really don't recall the Knights Templar finding the Arc of the Covenant....

> > Rikard is a real knight of Hrestol, hopelessly romantic, full of ideals and a
> > grand following (at least until his purse runs out).
> /// So he's from the Castle Coast ? He speaks shakespearian seshnegi :-) ?

The Malkioni of shattered Seshnela did not all embrace the wisdom of Rokar. Some maintained fidelity to the Hrestoli way of the God Learners, rejecting strict castes, and permitting lords to fight, wizards to rule, and knights to practice wizardry. They practice elaborate versions of Hrestoli chivalry ("knights" combine the best of lordship, wizardry, and soldiering, all constrained by elaborate codes of conduct), allowing talent to rise (yet allowing old families to maintain tradition and cohesion). This was once the dominant sect of Malkionism in Seshnela, now almost entire supplanted by Rokarism (who fears it as a return to God Learnerism).

> In many ways he is more like an Indian high-caste adventurer in the 10th century
> than a Norman adventurer in the 11th.
> 11rh centuries normans were ruthless and efficient bastards ; I don't know
> anything about indian high-caste adventurers.

Rikard and his companions had many advantages over the Norman adventurers. He is not seen as a "barbarian" by the Esvularings - quite the opposite. He knows things about Malkioni philosophy that the Aeolian wizards barely grasp (the advantage to knowing more than one sacred book) and can reveal wizardry that impresses and amazes the locals. A good Hrestoli, he's not terribly concerned about doctrinal purity (for both good and ill), although he is certainly willing to protect His people from the Winakotling pagans that threaten them.

Moreover, Rikard is personally extremely brave, idealistic, and strives to be a good emulation of Hrestol. He and his men have dwarf made iron weapons (remember the Castle Coast trades with the dwarfs of the Iron Mountains) and can interact with the Beast Folk. Orlanthi, trolls, and Praxians are evil and vicious, but the Esvularings are the heirs to ancient Malkonwal).

> His rule is remarkably light on the Esvularings (who ultimately chose him as
> their leader, since his own mercenaries were too few to impose themselves
> without local support).
> /// Well, that's true. You can't hold a whole country with at most a few hundred
> soldiers. You need local support.

Yep. Rikard's kingship is supported by the Esvularings and the Aeolings. His tolerance and justice gets him the neutrality of some of the local clan chiefs who would prefer King Broyan but not enough to rebel.

> > He does make a number of bone-headed moves, like expelling the Uroxings bands
> > from below the Print. Then again, these are the same bone-headed moves made
> > by one of the Esvularing governors of Heortland.
> /// Yes. Even a brave, altruistic, idealistic man can be stupid. Even worse,
> they often lack in common sense and diplomacy...

Now that is exactly the case. Rikard won't compromise with the Lunars (recognizing them as the heirs of Gbaji and even worse than the Orlanthi barbarians). Rikard won't tolerate the abuses by the Uroxi, the holy madmen of Heortland. And Rikard keeps the Esvularing in positions of power despite being badly outnumbered by the Orlanthi clans (who massively outnumber the Aeolings in Heortland).

> /// So in the Great Gloranthan compromise the rokari did not try to conquer
> Heortland, there was no rebellion against them when the lunars came ? What
> happened to good'ol'Rikard then ?

Rikard is defeated by the Lunar Empire and refuses a crown from them. His fate after that is a mystery. His body was not found and his whereabouts is a mystery. Perhaps he was martyred like Hrestol or perhaps he escaped his captures and joined with his former rivals.

Jeff