No Nice Anybody Anywhere

From: hcarteau_at__fFDsuB2s0XHIJuhdzg6pNdFDoD14PYWOr1zRJ-nOK0v2P2Yk7ROJY6fbFlJaMRTO2X
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:50:49 +0200

Selon Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_v87F-JSGINPZoSxDCdWBee0jXgG_5y2T3lAhUH2F-7D5_vfHxK21gGVdirsDDyRsWsfJZXAUPAOpuHc.yahoo.invalid>:

> ➢ That seems fair enough, but the question arises: if you need that sort of
> thing in your story, who *is* a good choice?
/// Ah, I got the question wrong.

> I used to think Sartarites were a downtrodden people deserving of release
> from the Lunar/Tarshite shackles, but on reading BoS they are just a bunch of
> ignorant/illiterate barbarians.

/// Hear, hear. Also, they seem to place more value to a cow's udders than a woman's. Now that's twisted.

They are a disappointment. BoS seems to read 0 - 5th Century (think Asterix the Gaul) but there in the 1600's - not withstanding two ages ending with WMD's. /// Astérix has humor ; Heortllings don't seem to have much in comparison. It's dangerous to joke with a sartari.

> I had always assumed Sartarites had high levels of literacy
/// ???
They need something special to give them an edge, rather than the Deus Ex-machina that is Dragon Pass.
/// What's wrong with a Deus ex machina ? Au contraire, it explains nicely how such a bunch of retards (OK, I exagerate a bit here) have held their own so long against the Wondrous Red Empire.

> These days I simply don’t care about the Sartarites.
/// Me neither. In Fay Jee, I use them as a few armed hobos who make a nuisance of themselves and have to be regularly beaten by the Prince's forces.

How can this bunch of illiterate thugs win the Hero Wars? /// They won't. ARGRATH will win it, or rather his part in it.

 The Lunars are a highly organized empire, with high level magic and magical research (probably approaching similar levels to the GL's) /// Yes, that is a problem. For them. And everybody else. In fact, they're worse than the GLs, who never ever messed with chaos.

and well equipped and coordinated military - even if they suffer 'internal' strife.
/// What organization of this size wouldn't suffer internal strife ?

Why would (just) Tarsh want to ever give up the income stream coming from there simple, ignorant high mountain cousins?
/// They wouldn't.

> I realize the HQ game is pulling away from the 80's style Runequest, when
> your adventurer could wanderer around Sartar and over to Pavis. Urgg(sp?) the
> Ugly with his 90,000(?) Wheels on a Mule train - this does not seem possible
> anymore, as any tribal area you cross will more than likely think you look
> funny and make you a slave.

/// True that, but if Urrgh has "Beat the Natives into dust 10M3" he will get through anyway. Where would be the fun for players then...

> Anyway, who IS a good choice? A Tarshite Lunar Idealist? Sell me that
> Sartarites are a cut above the rest...
/// They aren't. The only good choice is, of course, good malkioni. "There is only one God and... etc. etc."

> I'm thinking the Lunars and Sartaries need a bit of a makeover. Clean a bit
> of the fecal matter off the faces of the Satarites,
/// Are you sure they rub shit on their faces ? I mean, even when milking a cow or cutting wool off a sheep you don't need to do that, do you ? "Orlanth the coprophile" is a new cult ?

and give the Lunars more "Prima Nocte" and similar practices. /// What's "prima nocte" ? If you mean gruesome practises there's plenty already : dealing with entropy (chaos), spolite dark wizardy, calling comets from the skies, etc. etc.

 The Lunars should be wanting the ethically cleanse Sartar /// Jeff told me the lunars in Sartar should feel like US (or formerly soviet) troops in Afghanistan. They feel they came to help and they keep on being ambushed, having their throats slit etc. by howling savages. They try and try to help, but the locals are too... different.