Re: Nice Anybody?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_rTjLWZBhivmjzTcNZHdnDsSCHVxjaGXrjzgBNIdLdoL2XfHcq-NKle0FinFpkCRc6tUq>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:10:43 -0000

> >...Lhankor Mhy cult IS one of the most literate groups in all of Glorantha
> and their libraries are the envy of many other peoples.
>
> But, they still have done their people a disservice. They could have
> _choosen_ to educate them (gotten a super education system going) instead of
> hording the information for themselves for their own self interest.

Why is that a disservice? The LM cult spends years learning the discipline of literacy, the devotion to the Truth. Letting anyone read and write the sacred script might mean liars might write self-serving statements (like those Lunar Irripi Ontor scribes who will write anything for their masters) that pervert the Truth. You end up with God Learners, Lunars, or worse. The written word is dangerous and best kept with those who will not abuse it.

> A lot of Myth seems to been associated with places of power (The starting
> point of the LBQ - name escapes me). The "Sartarites" fled their own
> countries oppression - King Colymar, Tarsh Exiles* - and moved into a land
> of Great (unknown/forgotten) Legend. They would have known practically
> nothing about it - all the 'Orlanthi' people who did know had been
> annihilated**. Blood of Orlanth (Mongoose) stuff - lost. Zip. Zilch.

The Hendriki (the parents of the Sartarites) have an unbroken history going back to the Gbaji Wars (and are the heirs of the Garanvuli who were founded in the Darkness). The Temple of Knowledge in Nochet (which is in the Orlanthi world) has an unbroken history going back further. It is worth getting the History of the Heortling People if you want this kind of deep background. FWIW Colymar and the other settlers of Dragon Pass had access to 2nd Age descriptions of the area (which of course were wrong - the very geography of the pass changed).

Finally, don't be so dismissive of these "rude, fractious, quarrelsome" Orlanthi. From time to time they unite (albeit temporarily) and do some pretty remarkable things (break the power of the Bright Empire, conquer Dara Happa, and so forth). Just like the "rude, fractious, quarrelsome" barbarians of Macedonia turned out to be pretty darn dangerous under the later Argead Dynasty.

Jeff