Re: Good pictures of brochs?

From: rune.writer <rune.writer_at_3_CgSIhzp9CiZSZWCtKDeTXEVoVoy1sFhwB_X7UIjO2bNZU_iUITkv0EzUMmoCrK>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:03:49 -0000

> One of the princes of Sartar built a really nice and big one (broch), and I'd love to get a good handle on what sort of a fortress it would be.

I'm working on a 2A Ralios game and trying to work out what similarities and differences there are between Ralians and Heortlings. (Ie close enough to be recognisably Storm barbarians, but I really don't like the idea of presenting players with Heortling sources and saying, "but you call this god something else")

Partly, I've been trying to separate them in non-game terms. I really can't stand cultural descriptions/differences for RPGs that purely revolve around, "people A use this type of magic/weapon/rule/alignment, whereas people B use this other type." (yes, I'm looking at RQ3 and the long list of Malkioni societies that only seemed to differ by their use of Tap, but other settings are even worse)

Anyway, I'd put brochs, duns and wheelhouses at the northern end of the Barbarian belt; Fronela and northern Ralios (a bit of cross cultural architectural influence). In northern Ralios I could see wheelhouses and roundhouses sitting side by side, while the eastern wilds would be almost entirely roundhouse construction.

Then, southern Ralios and into Maniria would see a blending of round- and longhouse construction. I imagine an Esrolian influence marking the change from circular houses to squarer (and more Earth rune shaped) buildings and further east, heortling pragmatism exztending the buildings to full-on longhouses.

The point is, I don't think Sartans (or any Heortling culture) would have brochs. Maybe a motte and bailey, maybe a round tower, but definitely more saxon/possibly Norman than a broch, which were specifically north scottish IIRC.