So why did King Broyan die like he did ?

From: hcarteau_at_I-ntX-gD3qbxDQIb0KfDitfutg9WFgbEOIa8zON2s21qgWmSH7vpomAAnFLk7VYPPcN
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 11:21:47 +0200

Many thanks for the comment I didn't catch the story in HoTP ; I did read it throughly and failed to understand it properly. Actually it's one of the interesting things about these damn books : the Information is hidden behind many layers, scattered in many places and it takes time and effort to put it together. Too much for my wracked brain in this case.

So your basic idea is that the kitori demon which killed Broyan had nothing to do with Wondercity's sack by Harrek. It just happened shortly thereafter and people assumed it was a consequence, but it's not.

In fact, what happened is that Broyan, as Hendriki King, ie avatar of Hendrik, had obligations/debts to the kitori he wasn't even aware of - I heard Jeff say that at Tentacles 2009. When he didn't pay up, it activated the old forfeiture clauses, and he was gobbled up by a Demon he just couldn't defend against.

Now what would have been that obligation to the Dark Folk IYO ? It could have been suscribed when he escaped the Shadows (kitori tax collectors) the first time they caught him.

Finally, I wonder if the third-age kitori were aware of this at all, and wouldn't have preferred to avoid killing Broyan if they could have...