Re: Western-style Questing

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_1KozZXvrpDl7bxEWnZZrHD7x00SMDgztQCr-HrwPSMeVpjt81c5SRBz_gdNEbCx0v>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 09:16:08 -0700

YGWV On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:57 AM, <hcarteau_at_XBZjOwtf1FOzqN6dnXcC5tsT6afnmGNK-JbRpaHXxzUhrlNeWVMOTmUzQQ2SUPOo2PQQr97VTw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > > Most western quests put the quester (they don't call them
> > > like that anyway) in the role of a Saint, an actually historical
> > > figure. So do most lunar Quests.
> >
> > Although one suspects that, in most cases, their most questable and
> > significant actions were themselves performed in the God's War. That's
> > how they get their connection with the divine, after all.
>
> /// Huh ? Aren't Hrestol, Xemela, Arkat (gasp) all historical figures, born
> and
> dead within Time ? Of course, some "Quests" are actually brithini rituals
> practised way before time...

Yep.
Certain activities have so much magical power tha they generate a permanence in the Hero Plane so they can be entered. You can see this in many stories where they talk about "strange races" and "beings from another realm" appear at a battle. These are actually the heroquesters from the "future."

It is more difficult to visit recent historical events. It may have something to do with the memory of living people--if living people remember it, it is much, much more difficult to get int the story--essentially impossible.

Apparently a sufficient number of living people remember the rise of the Red Moon, and things just before it, and so it's really difficult for heroquesters to visit.

Hrestol's events, fifteen hundred years ago, are easier.

God Learner events of great power can be visited, but are avoided because of "the infection" (western term), "warpage" (generally translated term for theists) and "pregnation" (among animists). They don't know exactly what it is, except that visitors to GL events often have their magic defaced, or spoiled, or in some manner made unreliable. We know that it is because the GL had smeared their own magic across the accesses to the Otherworlds, and using your own can get it somehow mixed up with the GL magic. Hence, no one much visits GL events.

Some of the huge draconic events seem to be visitable through HQ, but most attempts are diverted to the Dragonkill, where the creatures seem to sense intruders and relish inhaling them, so they never come ever return to life. Hence, it too is avoided.

A significent portion of the Lunar quests is to go into the God War and find some power that is like their own, or establish some permanent contact. If they can find that contact place later, in their lifetime after the HQ, then they have the makings of a temple liked through Hero Planes to the original source.The "reality" of this connection is still subject to limitless debate among Lunars.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer