Re: heroquest with lunar gods

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_UctOOgzbxOPPWe3pUJwLM-KvZqnWpS119CYQbbZv_D-G60bH6O9K4XUS7zRUcZ>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 21:28:23 -0700

There are many non-lunar philosophical schools that indicate that Lunar heroquests could not be done before the ascension of the Red Moon, and now they can be done. To them, this indicates that the Hero Plane, et al, changed at that time.

The description of that change ranges from those school to school. Some think that new paths and stories and entities were added to the Hero/God/Sorcery/Spirit planes when the Middle World had such a drastic change. Others that hidden events of pre-history were revealed. Others indicate the dangers of Lunar religion by decrying these changes as another breaking of the world, a step toward destruction of the universe.

Externally (from an non-Gloranthan, over-simplified way of looking at things), it has long been suggested that reoccurring, world-changing events happen (Sunstop, Lunar Ascension, and more to come) change all of the planes of Glorantha, from high to low. And that one day, these changes will "end" the world. Such things have many wide-ranging effects, and one of those is that Lunars can heroquest along the path of their divine-during-time gods, such as Sedenya or the Seven Mothers.

While your Glorantha will vary, I certainly find this to be a more elegant solution for this problem than trying to wrap my head around the idea that all of the Lunar gods have always existed (and yet ran around during Time creating an empire in the Middle World).

And, due to the "point-of-view" nature of Glorantha, full of contradictions and variations, an Orlanthi POV that suggests that the Blood Moon is a sign of the wound in the world that allows Lunar "heroquesting" to happen can co-exist with some Western philosophical school that teaches that many hidden splinters of Eschula (sp?) exist that regularly make connection with mortals, given the right circumstances (such as cosmic near-cataclysms) taking their shape and creating a new "god".