Re: Good pictures of brochs?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_15z6dcqR8ky_bgESyClpoE6SV6LPrWzccMMc4kOz6vXeGYbcM7inp_A5O>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 13:43:49 -0000

> On 22 May 2010, at 05:03, rune.writer wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd put brochs, duns and wheelhouses at the northern end of the Barbarian belt; Fronela and northern Ralios (a bit of cross cultural architectural influence).

So perhaps I can answer as to the intent behind putting brochs into Dragon Pass when we wrote that book. One of the 'differences' for me about Glorantha is that it is pseudo-ancient instead of pseudo-medieval. Dotting Norman style towers across Sartar felt a little anachronistic and part of the slide toward medieval Glorantha, that occurs simply because that is a common fantasy trope familiar to many readers. So by referring to brochs, as well as hill-forts etc. I hoped that folks would cast their perspective back a bit, instead of forward. By using broch I was trying to imply more antiquated technology and society.

I have never really bought into the idea that Dragon Pass in 'Germanic' tribes and Ralios 'Celtic' tribes to whatever extent those distinctions have meaning even in this world. I think it may be easier to see the Orlanthi as influenced by analogues of bronze age cultures of Europe, throw in some cultural element of their descendants because they post-date the written word and sources are easier to uncover and then season with their mythology.

So if Broch offends you, just call it a keep or tower.

Glorantha has its range of non-bronze age anachronisms, although explaining them away as stolen Mostali technology (implying that the dwarfs have a more sophisticated technology than other races). Sartar has certainly employed dwarfs, so anachronistic structures are viable.