All-Time Favourite events on the Heroplane

From: hcarteau_at_ULkYlW0CXuK3OwEfdKQHnYiJERIJwbq1LaAMfIsrjzFPyl1WIUGuxI32vAuIWx3X6Zh
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:13:14 +0200

Selon Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_iUuLHVJyf1zI6tJNEVwH9grJyetMwUrG77vOsHbApQ30mJugfBKKEdzNffvqTLVtDL60MRQwxHS9krlfgNA.yahoo.invalid>:

> Certain activities have so much magical power tha they generate a permanence
> in the Hero Plane so they can be entered. You can see this in many stories
> where they talk about "strange races" and "beings from another realm" appear
> at a battle. These are actually the heroquesters from the "future."
/// We knew time was not linear on the Heroplane already, but the key here seems to be the magical magnitude of the event. If it's powerful enough, if will "add itself" to the Heroplane (which is as much a time as it's a place) and "exist" there, allowing its participants to go "visit" other events - and other participants from other events to visit it. Sometimes by pure chance, sometimes by design.

> It is more difficult to visit recent historical events. It may have
> something to do with the memory of living people--if living people remember
> it, it is much, much more difficult to get int the story--essentially
> impossible.

/// Interesting. Why would that be ? Human memory is so feeble, so subjective. Why would living memories "block" access to a past event, I wonder ?

> Apparently a sufficient number of living people remember the rise of the Red
> Moon, and things just before it, and so it's really difficult for
> heroquesters to visit.

/// Or maybe it's simply because the Authorities forbid it, to avoid people finding out what really happened then, which was probably much less glorious than what the Party wants you to believe...

> Hrestol's events, fifteen hundred years ago, are easier.
/// Depends for whom. Try being a rokari eager to find out what... ah, but I forgot : rokari don't quest anywhere / when outside their own stories. Never.

> God Learner events of great power can be visited, but are avoided because of
> "the infection" (western term), "warpage" (generally translated term for
> theists) and "pregnation" (among animists).
/// That sounds omnious, twisted and threatening. Love it.

They don't know exactly what it is, except that visitors to GL events often have their magic defaced, or spoiled, or in some manner made unreliable. /// Would that be someting like -1M in game terms, or do you have something more twisted/horrible in mind ?

We know that it is because the GL had smeared their own magic across the accesses to the Otherworlds, and using your own can get it somehow mixed up with the GL magic. Hence, no one much visits GL events. /// Y'mean that... (gasp) anybody visiting a GL event becomes a SORCERER ???

> Some of the huge draconic events seem to be visitable through HQ, but most
> attempts are diverted to the Dragonkill, where the creatures seem to sense
> intruders and relish inhaling them, so they never come ever return to life.
> Hence, it too is avoided.

/// OK, mess with Dragon myths and you end up as food for wyrms. That is a clear message.

> A significent portion of the Lunar quests is to go into the God War and find
> some power that is like their own, or establish some permanent contact. If
> they can find that contact place later, in their lifetime after the HQ, then
> they have the makings of a temple liked through Hero Planes to the original
> source.The "reality" of this connection is still subject to limitless debate
> among Lunars.

/// So their first target is to "legitimize" the Lunar Power by finding anchor points in the middle world, to justify it before men as well as otherworld entities. I knew they weren't that sure of themselves.