Re: HOW DID ARKAT ATTAIN ILLUMINATION?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_VLlp9XiVsCz3A6vW8eIrIn5G-0M6sPuMjltk0fHrVLAwyc4Lp4AS4NXydIjYxeJ8OS9E>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:33:22 -0000

> > Not at the hand of Nysalor/Gbaji or his Riddlers surely?
> >
> > Surely not?!
>
> The earliest answer has been at the hands of the elves of Brithos
> (according to Cults of Terror).
>
> But that dating doesn't work. Arkat was born during the Sunstop
> and there would have to be a free and unimpeded transmission of ideas
> from Dorastor to Brithos within 13 years whereas it was anything but.

Greg's thinking on illumination has definitely developed since the days of Cults of Terror (which is almost 30 years old). "Nysalorian Illumination" as understood by the God Learners (through the stories from First Age Seshnela) or by the Third Age Orlanthi is an inadequate window to understand Nysalor or Arkat.

That being said, I think Peter is right. Both Nysalor and Arkat had a disturbing and unsettling understanding of the cosmos. Conflicting, opposed, and yet somehow fundamentally similar in key regards.

Jeff