Re: Subcult of Yinkin the Chief (or Yinkin the king)

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_lvHnkeIHobKdqCFlXmVBQY8lfjC3Oq1jX1Sy4helr_w1MDZJgqrZrjmT869meB>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:47:28 -0700

While the talk about clan chiefs requiring initiation to chief gods does a great job of fleshing out the social and magical requirements of the Glorantha world, I wanted to point out that these details go a little further than the needs of this play group.

If the "leader" of a heroband is not the initiate or devotee of a Leader god, that's OK. The needs of a band are different than the needs of a clan. The head of a warband might be the one that protects the others from harm, such as a Vingan, or seduces their way into positions of comfort, such as a Yinkini. The other players are pursuing their own goals while also backing up the head of the party. There are many times in which Orlanth helped his brother Yinkin, or went hunting with Yinkin showing him the way; thus Orlanthi party members can support their Yinkin leader (even if their leader does not have "leadership" magic).

Also, I wanted to mention that clans/tribes may take up new chiefs/kings for a short time because of a specific needs. If the Orlanthi king was just slain in battle and the tribe is on the run, A Vingan queen might be able to protect the clan long enough to set up in new lands. She is both an explorer and protector, after all. But, perhaps, not the best for long term leadership of the clans once it is necessary to rebuild in the new lands.

--Todd