Down the rivers in Maniria : your opinions

From: hcarteau_at_g9Khhbm6KekhHvAnmfSBzZn4ixV1GL8XPlJ3twdwL__RkJy4kSEETO29SL9-uCNuqA3
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:26:44 +0200

First, this is a SPOILER for our Fay Jee campaing / French style. Go away, players. This means you, Eric.

... dum da dee dum...

OK, I guess, they're gone now. Let me ask your opinion about something. Many of the ideas you guys gave me have found their way in our campaign, to everybody's pleasure, so I'd like your take on something else.

In our next game, the PCs will start their Great Trek, the re-enactment of Caselain's travel through Maniria. They'll join the Great Trekk in Jubal Town, navigate up to Joral, cross the Dokal hills to the Temple of Peace and then hoof it through solanthi lands all the way to Solung. In theory.

Being their usual selves (ie paranoid), my players expect troubles with sabotages from other houses on the road, especially Jhoraz. They expect attacks by barbarians. But mostly, they fear crossing solanthi lands and be the target of Greymane's greed. So much that the Caselain liturgist has come up with the idea of re-enacting the Gift of the Falangian Diamond, not to the Iron Elk as Caselain did, but to... Greymane himself. That sounds like a nice idea to wrap up this pilgrimage, and buy some time for Fay Jee to build its wall (work started a few days ago).

Now how could I play this Gifting Ritual so it's exciting and - above all - has unexpected twists for the players ? They've see Greymane's hordes take Acrotor, and have crossed devastated Yellowstone. They live in fear of Greymane's horde attacking Fay Jee, and know Baron Jhoraz has links with him.

BTW, they'll be attacked on the way to Joral by a fleet of canoes bearing haranding warriors (from the Blue Lion clan of Tradetalk fame), and will be saved by... soldiers of House Jhoraz. This is the Great Trek where ennemities are put aside.

And oh yes, I've designed a nice Deadwood-style Jubal Town, with plenty of tensions. It looks suspiciously like second-age Fiesive from Mongoose but locals will look and sound like Al Sweargen "et compagnie". I'm curious to see the players try to work out who's out for their blood and who they could do business with.