Re: Subcult of Yinkin the Chief (or Yinkin the king)

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_L7GU85ubnp_bu170M1fudSvw58kdSCe4Motb2zXwUD81abUqcyzDZZpIm8jJbwte3Dm>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 22:33:46 -0400

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Jeff <richaje_at_t4NRQFKI5edSSJOOxU3RAsOZ1ZCgyl3DIsg9xxQbaZuBLkMYiWlI2dDwVr2p6yrThIlelFHOqV-_Bw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> As the Line Editor for HQ Glorantha, when I write on this forum (or
> elsewhere) I try to write very close to what would get published by Moon
> Design.
>
> If that sounds like "preaching" to you, I am sorry. YGWV, but the hat I
> wear doesn't give me the same freedom. People are welcome to let Yinkin
> become a dog in their game or publish fan material saying the same. But when
> I write, I try to give people insight as to what is likely going to get
> published.

Thanks for the clarification! I was starting to get a bit uncomfortable with the tone this part of the discussion was taking.

Without opening the "canon" Pandora's box, there is a big difference between what sort if thing might get published and what a Narrator chooses to allow in her game. Most of us know this already, but it might need to be stated again every so often. Publishers need to maintain standards of continuity, consistency, etc. Narrators are in the business of helping a group of friends have a good time telling stories and are using the Glorantha setting as a means to that end. Some groups like to think what happens in their game is true to what the designers intended and others... not so much. Neither preference is "wrong".

Can there be a cult of Yinkin the Dog? Not in Greg's Glorantha (probably), or in Moon Design's Glorantha, or in mine, or most other Gloranthaphiles', or probably even that of the person who asked the question. Can there be a cult of Yinkin the Dog in a particular game if for some reason it helps to keep a player excited and engaged? Sure. In fact, it is the right thing to do IMHO.

-Kevin McD

PS: I probably *would* let the player know, just for the record, that an exception is being made so he won't go off thinking that Yinkin the Dog is perfectly acceptable and wind up embarrassing himself on the forums or something. I wouldn't make a big deal about it, though.