Re: written sources, oral histories

From: Jeff <richaje_at_AYZ-6iqAKmyA4zKw1gEdOFF1kvEjBHoeZ59iVkdzQhgwp4wDaXmDzy2WaL_N4JLVpNSG>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:23:47 -0000

> On a tangent from the Arkat threads, I have in the back of my head, an idea for a game in which the players take two roles. One would be a sage/scholar type character, and the other would be a historical person (or possibly, group, magic item, something).

Sounds absolutely wonderful. Email me if you have any interest in putting this together. It could actually make a good scenario.

> Other players could "attack" the translation, expose inaccuracy with other research, use magic and truth contest to ascertain the truth, interview spirits and other that are still around. etc. The forum for the game would be PBEM, to allow for documents to be created (suggested method would be to "find and replace" from real documents.

Some years ago, we had a CoC game that consisted of little more than "reading" and "interpreting" fictional books that we invented. Wonderful fun.

> The original idea was to be based in the Big Rubble, with the scholars from the twilight years of the City (just before Balastor) looking at events in the 830's 40's and 50's (ish)

I'd suggest picking the late Third Age. During Balastor's age there just wasn't much (if any) scholarship in the city. However, the late Third Age had a blossoming of scholarship plus regained access to long lost texts from the Second Age (without much context for them).

Jeff