Re: Teleos question > Balazar/Elder Wilds > Umathela

From: Jeff <richaje_at_b_lNAUo56smOwtDLrD0s-FvrDDVtamJ4eaQ3M4uKmgvxoNlyTNZhx6Q2exQqA9LRoWBk>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:03:39 -0000

> 1) I always thought Griffon Island’s (GI) Halcon Von Enkorf (sp?) was a good example of a powerfull Vadeli or God Learner Sorceror or even a Zzabur for that matter. GI I always saw as a 2nd age scenario, only with a tremendous amount of sea traffic would a port such as ‘Soldier Town’ be possible.

Griffin Island simply isn't Gloranthan and requires a LOT of work to make it fit into canonical Glorantha.

> 2) Is the land so poor (for crops) in Balazar/Eldar Wilds that the Lunars/Tarshite’s could not be bothered conquering it â€" it looks easy enough except for maybe a local Giant. Surely it would be easier than bothering with those southern freakish cousins.

Elkoi isn't particularly important to the Provincial Overseer, except as a small fort to keep bands of Balazarings out of Holay and Tarsh. The rest of the citadels aren't of any strategic importance to the Empire. That is not to say, however, that Halcyon hasn't come up with a scheme to make something out of Balazar and use it to his advantage.

> 3) Umathela. As I understand it was a Juestelan colony that built large cities up and down its coast after clearing away the forests a reasonable distance inland. After this started they imported a significant number of Slonton/Manerian/Kathelan Orlanthi. Why did they do this?

You have that reversed in order. The Waertegi shipped over Orlanthi in the late First Age (during the Gbaji Wars if I recall correctly). David D can probably add more information since he has thought more about Umathela than anyone.

Jeff