Re: Teleos question > Balazar/Elder Wilds > Umathela

From: David Dunham <david_at_oH6Ja37CHrPiuIUWgRDQL2LssOVg_HPRRWYAIWzy83twDImz0P4ncw2jUSGJDFA3XAM8gx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:29:24 -0700

On 20 Jun 2010, at 02:25, Sean Foster wrote:

> 3) Umathela. As I understand it was a Juestelan colony that built large cities up and down its coast after clearing away the forests a reasonable distance inland. After this started they imported a significant number of Slonton/Manerian/Kathelan Orlanthi. Why did they do this?

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/umathela/ has a little info from the Umathelan game I ran several years ago.

IIRC, the Orlanthi were actually imported as a Waertagi experiment.

> My first guess was as a GL experiment to transplant a culture and see if they could self generate myth or some such academic theory.

I think the Orlanthi were used as test subjects.

> Subsequent history (Missing Lands) tells of the closing and Merman/Waitagi? tidal waves destroying all the GL coastal cities and the elves (never start a land war in asia OR against the elves) followed up with a re-forestation program our RW greenies would be ecstatic about. This pretty much wiped out (85%?) this (albeit seceded) GL colony, but what happed to the Orlanthi? It would seem that they survived on tribute paid to the elfs and the mermen. Is there any Malkioni in the Orlanthi – a la Trader Princes? The next real mention I believe is that Harrek creates a kingdom in Umathela – he must like Orlanthi?

The Umathings survived and are allies with the Aldryami in the Season Wars against Afadjann.

The Malki are the surviving Malkioni, who live along the coast; I've described them in Men of the Sea.

I think Harrek's kingdom is a bit to the east. I don't think he *likes* anyone.

> Has the culture spontaneously created its own myths or do they just use of the existing ones any tribe in Sartar/Maneria/Kathela would use – just not the location linked ones like the LBQ? Can Umathela be treated pretty much as a Orlanthi Blank Land (with understanding to YGWV) or is there some other stuff that has been generated about it?

I've generated a bunch, but haven't figured out a good way to publish it. IMO they have had to generate their own myths because their own got so messed up by the God Learners. In particular, I believe they had a Harmast-like person who performed a full Lightbringers Quest which helped restore the proper order (by getting rid of the God Learners). Sandy Petersen has written of their Nine Lightbringers...

I think in part it's nine because it's like Peter said, they have been influenced by Fonritan, Pamaltelan, and Aldryami myths.

David Dunham