Re: Teleos question > Balazar/Elder Wilds > Umathela

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_E8zvQFH268hpiYhpnadMIoUaAfKpeGBYcXdyYMJv8qM_-U3EnfvH4Xas7uGbe4FS9oxrx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:53:51 -0000

The garrison at Elkoi is just to keep the Balazaring raiders in heck. Again, a diffuse structure like the natives makes it impossible to control raiding when every wandering extended family is a power unto itself.

I admit I watched "Blackrobe" at a formative time!

> Trying to rule Balazar would mean importing all the necessities of
> life yourself, since the locals don't produce them, and then sending
> constant expeditions out into the wilderness to hunt down the nomadic
> clans and - then what? Insist they hand over a few deerskins as
> tribute?
>
> Not worth it.
>
> Stephen

Not worth it, though it might be useful to deal with redirecting raids - which have their own costs.

Want this copper pot? Bring me a stack of six alynx furs or a horse-tail and it's yours. We might even have some spear-heads around here somewhere. Interested?