Re: Umathela

From: Jeff <richaje_at_eMP9CaOhwlUkoVf07h0UZZN_efsfL4hbs7gYcF8_eohKVdY1bfj1ZB9RkJjBQpCb_xph>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:28:18 -0000

> > On a tangential note, questing to get rid of foe X is poor shorthand.
>
> Indeed. The return of the Aldryami to Umathela was a pretty mixed blessing (IMG). Which is one reason I view it as a possible quest result.

FWIW, the Umathelans performed many magical rituals, including calling upon "artificial" gods to grant them power against the hated Middle Sea Empire and their God Learner wizards. Here's a short synopsis:

"The revolt of nature against the God Learners brought ruin. The start of the downfall is marked by the False Gods Revolt of 901, when priests of Worlath, Ehilm, and even Jogrampur (an imaginary deity invented in a God Learner experiment) displayed effective magic and destroyed the University of Yoranday. In 954, just before the Closing destroyed all port cities, a fleet of dragonships, piloted by old enemies, arrived from the sea, smashing the rest of the hated universities into gravel and pulp.

However, the self styled Lord of the World's Knowledge, ruler of Vralos and Enkloso was not defeated until 1020 when legions of elves marched from secret lairs. Behind them floated a spectral forest. Before them swarmed myriads of trollkin. The Lord's lowland holdings were flooded and drowned as the river gods of the extinct lascerdans rose for the last time, to slaughter every sentient being within their grasp."

> Well back to one of the original questions: to a large degree Umathela is a blank land in which you can use whatever makes your game the most fun.

Umathela will be in the Guide to Glorantha.

Jeff