Re: Balazar

From: Jeff <richaje_at_DgkXj3pcTJPSZxPFbyDw9SC5R7eM90qjXHZoyGuTqU1VLPVw2D1OH6Ei_yRbKu_QaUZV>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:36:00 -0000

> I suppose this is my issue with Balazar. It is a blank land and the Balazar
> outlined in Griffon Mountain, to me, just doesn't seem to fit with an
> aggressive (to Sartar) Tarsh.

I am speaking as a publisher now - Balazar is not a "blank land". We certainly reserve the right to publish material on Balazar and likely will.

> There seems to be plenty of 'free' land in
> 'Balazar' protected by a couple of pigstickers, and hillbilly Orlanthi ( as
> in Brolia and such). If the Lunar Empire/Tarsh was looking for more land to
> pass over as land grants (retired soldiers/Duke Rauses and the like) why not
> send them to a place 'this side' of the Rockwoods. I am sure they would
> prefer it. Jomes Wulf would have prefered something in Balazar (nearer to
> Tarsh if there ever was a problem) than mid-Sartar - but as is, he will
> realise his mistake in another couple of years.

A few observations. First, the soil in Balazar is lousy. Much of it used to be a big forest that was destroyed in the wars between the trolls and the aldryami; the lost woods are now open prairies that are not at all suitable for either the Lod-plow of the Pelorian peasants or the Barntar plow used in the hilly country south of Jillaro.

Real world note: the Great Plains of the United States were unsuitable for farming outside of the river valleys until John Deere invented his *steel* plow (something that simply does not and will not exist in Glorantha).

Second, Balazar is a lousy location. Only Elkoi is anywhere near the Oslir river system - the main transportation network for the Lunar Empire. And by near I mean further than the distance between the Oslir river system and the Creek-Stream-River that binds Sartar together. Beyond Elkoi and there is nothing.

> I keep on putting myself in the mind of somebody on the banks of the
> southern Oslir looking UP the valley to Dragon Pass. Why would anyone go
> there? It's dangerous.

  1. Because that is the ancient homeland of your people. Tarsh, Holay, and Aggar have all been part of kingdoms centered upon Dragon Pass - the Vingkotlings, the Heortlings, Orlanthland, and the EWF.
  2. Because Kerofin is the center of the world and Dragon Pass is the strategic lynchpin between Peloria and the rich lands of Kethaela (and the seas beyond).
  3. Because Dragon Pass is ideal for the sort of mixed agriculture and herding practiced by most people of the Lunar Provinces. It might be awful for a Dara Happan, but it is just fine for a Holayan or an Aggarite.

> I would think the only reason why Tarsh (a young, vibrant Lunar Empire
> Kingdom/Province) would go there is if it was limited in its expansion.

Tarsh has long claimed most of Sartar and once upon a time the High King of Tarsh was acknowledged by the Quivini kingdoms as overlord. And there are some rich agricultural lands in Sartar - far better than what is in all of Balazar.

> The thing is, in the Avalon Hill G:CotHW, Balazar is still listed as a
> 'Blank Land'.

> Sounds great, assuming this isn't a 2nd Age Mong Publishing (MRQ3 being due
> early next year*), what other goodies are in the pipe line?
>
> 1) S:KoH

Done.

> 2) Sartar Companion

In art production. We expect to have it out in August.

> 3) Pavis Campaign? + Mong Pavis Rises
The text of Pavis is nearly finished and then it goes off to art. Big Rubble follows shortly (we had so much stuff we need two books).

> 4) Guide to Glorantha?
> Will it be a 'reprint' of G:CotHW including Missing Lands and such?

If you consider Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes a "reprint" of Thunder Rebels. It includes Missing Lands plus a lot lot more.

Jeff