Re: Balazar

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_VYemOqGnKSgivshcq7UcqmpnvjeH_8ehY3fAXOVSOQ-OZ-0okGSWCpnBr>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:08:10 -0000

One thing to bear in mind is how these states, Tarsh, the Provinces, and the Empire muster forces to invade.

Usually it requires the act of an ambitious individual who sees profit and glory. There is no apparatus of government where civil servants weigh up the resource needs of the economy and seek the best option. I have been listening to the History of Rome podcast and a lot of Roman military expansion is down to strong men looking to increase their fortunes at home with a glorious foreign conquest, not some central plan to increase the size of the Empire. Pompey the Great is always looking to get the next 'big' gig and quickly abandons campaigns of lower status (his epithet was an insult because of his grandstanding).

I expect Tarshite leaders want to conquer Sartar and Heortland because that brings them the prestige and glory. I doubt that Fazzur would consider invading Balazar as a means to favor in the king's court. Leave that to the merchants with their wares and trappings of civilisation. Let the Balazarings beg to join our glorious Empire. Why spill the blood of Tarshite sons and daughters, when you can create puppet kings for a few glass jars?

And the Empire? Well it wants a way to the sea, and thus the world. And Sartar and the Holy Country are in its way (unless you count the miserable excuse of a port at Corflu). So it is happy to back Tarshite ambition to conquer Greater Tarsh once again.