Re: "Allied cults" quesion.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_vCT49NhaXfIWzBc9MKcbcBTXvFl90aKc_gGwBcU5zXR38vDCCYlkV7Vr1ZNmSMJED6M>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:08:51 +1200

On 7/8/2010 7:30 PM, valkoharja wrote:

> How should stuff like this work in the Hero Quest II paradigm? I
> don't like the rulesy RQ stuff about allied cults granting
> runespells, but on the other hand I do like pantheism.

My best guess is that an allied cult will provide a breakout ability, a spell or a spirit of the cultist's (or cult's) choosing.

To make things interesting, rather than have it as a simple contractual relationship (associate cultist goes to the allied temple 1% of the time and gains a small magic), I prefer to look at it in terms of a mythic relationship.

Thus in the Arming of Orlanth (KoS p80), Orlanth gets protective magic from Heler, sword magic from Humakt, axe magic from Babeester, lightning magic, the shield of Aran and so forth.

An Orlanthi hero who invests extra time and energy into the Arming of Orlanth will be able to use it to acquire these magics even if they are not available to the average Orlanthi.

Or an Orlanthi interested in Death could study the Sword Story (KoS p66) and get magic from Eurmal, Warlord Elf, Ironman, Zoran Zoran (and presumably Ragnaglar).

Or an Issaries could study the myth of the First Ring (KoS p57) and gain magic from Ygg, Lhankor, Artia, Chalana etc.

--Peter Metcalfe