Re: "Allied cults" question

From: hcarteau_at_rjGnlv838AhjnSUNexdvjpgGKWVmM7E0QBRHLhtIsx-q2ybXKPfEzuiHZGzXn_eoaJA
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:08:34 +0200

Here's what I would do for such a character in my Glorantha, using my home rules.

I'd say your PC would have Traded these Magics with other cults, getting single uses of Evaluate Magic, Truesword, Heal Wound, Leaping Shield etc. at whatever rating you want to fit your campaign, good for ONE USE only. Since they're one-use, the player only pays 1 HP for each, or nothing at all. If he wants to get them again, he has to negociate again.

Now, if your player is ready to sacrifice HP to get these Magics as permanent ablities, give them to him as specific Feats which need 1 HP each to get a +1. Your player will soon realize he cannot waste too much of his HP (life energy, time, etc.) on non-core Issaries Magics ! It's easy to justify by some special ritual whereas the allied cult gives him permanent magics for his help (i.e., blow 3 HP to get the Feat at a begining score of 17)

PS : I never liked the Magics Trading rule where the caster had to abandon one his own feats to get one from another cult. I can see it was built in to avoid having Issaries characters with 50-odd alien feats, but it seems to stringent to strip an Issaries Priest of a Feat he depends on for his living, without knowing for how long, just to get some weird other Magics which he perhaps intends to pass on to somebody else. Any ideas how to fix this ?