A great roleplaying moment in Joral

From: hcarteau_at_nxhd53tdGmZr2Dnig0l33oBiLAnbhdRlUJPe6GOXfAyrEsLfBZ4KTsAR5giIIJh3UG_
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:34:26 +0200

Honored colleagues,

Yesterday was our Fay Jee campaign's 20th game, and marked the begining of the Players' first Grand Trekk, the re-enactment of Saint Caselain's travels.

While in Joral, seat of their House's mortal ennemy Baron Jhoraz, the players met the local Ashara episcope : an inebriated wreck, living in terror of the Baron's dread powers and drowning his failings in alcohol.

One of the players is Ysgrin, a Caselain liturgist and de facto leader of the expedition. Seeing this, he rose from the table in anger and thundered against the drunken episcope, using just the right words : how he was hiding in drunkeness, was a failure in the eyes of God and his flock, what shame he brought on all churchmen and how he should redeem himself by accompanying the players on their Trekk. He also broke the episcope's fetish he used to relieve his hangovers in front of him. I played the episcope as reeling from each sentence.

The player had such flame and eloquence, we all enjoyed his tirade so much I let it go without a die roll. Episcope Beppo of Joral joined the PCs' trekk without looking back. They made it official at the ceremony just before the caravan left Joral and thus gave a nice black eye to Baron Jhoraz, against whom they were fuming since he had treated them like shit during the feast and at their audience.

Just as a tease, as the caravan was about to cross Joral's outside gate, I had the guards stop it and request the PCs' presence before the Baron. They went with great worry...