Re: Baroshi's runes

From: Jeff <richaje_at_QPRSk5f9TxVmapy39OT7DfdOPzcUBnHT7X-A9Pd-5b9N7I3ss-XwY_OtEbEVbm1wIqxY>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 06:40:33 -0000

> Isn't there a set of basic runes every pantheon generally has? I guess
> the Praxians don't have Farming, for example, but quasi every Gloranthan
> culture has Herding, except hunter-gatherers, but now some pantheons
> don't have Hunting, etc. But pretty much every pantheon in Glorantha
> ought to have some or other wielder of the Death rune to assert its
> position in the Gods War side of things...

Every human culture recognizes the five (or four or six or seven) elements and the eight (or six or ten or twelve) powers. Probably all the Elder Races do as well.

However, not all runes are actively worshiped by every culture. Some are seen as demonic or given propitiatary worship only. Frex, the Orlanthi do not worship Stasis, assigning it the status of a hostile entity (Yelm, Mostal, sometimes Zzabur). Many cultures only offer propitiatary worship to Death and Disorder (to keep them away), viewing them as terrible demons (like Humakt, Blaskarth, or Zorak Zoran).

Jeff