Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: hcarteau_at_3vCWRJHZlD3FQCw5e-IoCXZ0YLqKuhrnwrfXW1L4d7Wzq1nMP-ZQaD3Sr00okWEhBHU
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:11:02 +0200

It all comes back to Belintar.

(snip) Belintar's governing philosophy is quite opaque. He's using God Learner systems of government but what really is his reason for rule?
/// Hear, hear. I'd be curious to know about that too. We don't know who he/it
was, where/when he came from. There was never any hint about his motivations for coming in and building over the Holy Country, killing Ezkkakeko, etc.

What does he publicly proclaim his mission to be?
/// "I have brought harmony among all peoples and races, freeing you from war
and disorder. Under my rule, we will all serenly walk into the next age, sheltered from the horrors of this one". (I just made it up, I know it sounds hollow.)

He is the Living God but for what purpose?
/// To have enough power to get ever-new fresh, appropriate bodies ? He's just a
survivor, like a healthier Delicti ?

(snip) But what's the Holy Country's major problem?
/// Inertia. As you beautifully highlighted, traditionalists don't care about
this weirdo's search for harmony. They do their best, overtly or covertly, to secede from it.

(snip) In addition, there's a general lack of political intrigue and division.
/// Yes, I always wondered why powerful, experienced characters would blindly
believe a promise of eternal bliss and simply hand over their body to the Boss. There must be some magical / mundane pressure hidden somewhere.

(snip) My last issue is the lack of any feel for the magic of the Living God.
/// There was something about that in MoLaD, pp 64-67. It mentions several times
 a "Belintar's Book", but nothing is said about what it's about.