Re: What was the Iron Vrok ?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_RcFT_Yb0pIEo2RnUKpDRQGWgq1q_k1wqgJcz19Pr_agJdwE0sNv6px2JYzDBZqvTD>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:45:45 -0700

> I'm none too worried about the different names. Given that the
>> underwater city is called Herilial by people who lived in Herolal city
>> or in the kingdom of Herlalia, that the people of Kaxtorplose know it by
>> a different name isn't that much of a stretch.
>/// OK...
>
>> Kaxtor is actually described as a spirit hero in the Genertela Book,
>> indicating to me that he was a pre-existing hero, probably Silver Age,
>> who defended his city in its time of need.

That is right, chaos age into the Silver Age. History (and maps) show it to be a persistent site, and useful even against the chaos that Palangio loosed.

>/// So he might have been the community/city Guardian, giving it its own
name.
>And this would have been confused in later translation with a living hero.
>That's also cool.
>
>> Palangio is Illuminated. If the text says he dived, then he dove.
>/// Interesting. I'd have said the reverse : since he's illuminated, the
text
>may have many meanings : he could have "dived into" new Knowledge, for
instance,
>without getting one toe wet.

Lokamayadon once said that Palangio dove into Wisdom and came out untouched.

He dove, into the water, deep down into Erenplose.

>What you should be asking is why did he dive to Erenplose and what did he
>> bring back if the Iron Vrok was retrieved from the Mountains.
>/// Agreed, that's the interesting question. Since he dove before getting
the
>Iron Vrok back, he learned something down there. Perhaps it was wat Iridwin
>already knew. Perhaps the Erenplose people are one-shot ponies : if you
meet
>them they tell you XXX and you get Real Bad powers. That still doesn't tell
us
>who they are !

 They are a Gods War city that survived when waters flooded the land, when the Mournsea got its name. They lived in a bubble of air under there.

Palangio’s overt mission was to destroy a rebel there, which he did with luscious cruelty. What else went on, perhaps you know.

>> For what its worth the RuneQuest companion describes Palangio as having
>> ruled with Dwarf Magic so going up into the mountains to get the Vrok is
>> really code for having it made by dwarves.

“ruled with” is an overstatement

He had any magic he wanted

>/// I wonder how you can remind so many bits of trivia... This info is only
>few words long !
>So the Vrok might have been given or sold to him, or he could have stolen
it
>from the dwarves. Back at the time, was Isilian still a member of Nysalor's
>coterie ? What about the other "name" mostali (Martaler, Iron Skull Fanak,
>Angarko Diamond Brain, etc) ? One of them could have equipped P. with this
>wondrous device, but for which reason ?

Because the dwarfs were part of Nysalor’s Council?
>> As things stand, it seems that Palangio must have been seeking a
spiritual
>revelation of sorts and seeking the mysteries of Worcha fits in well with
that,
>I think.
>/// It fits with an illuminated solar type seeking another way of seeing
the
>Universe, but what doesn't seem to fit is the Mostal / Worcha connection
then.

 Palangio decided to use his mystical powers to obtain personal power.

--Greg

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer