Re: Esrolain grandmas and secrecy

From: Jeff <richaje_at_CKG3LAfc6vUcoQGfX2kosQtNfJxYJSeJP_zdPdcIXkSzvk8aA1qfcD9_FwuxVq7uiGUD>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:28:00 -0000

> /// I agree with you. It's been going on forever. Knowing which families / clans
> are at the top of the (fluctuating) power structure is another thing. I don't
> know yet who the Yellow Earth Queen supports - Red Earth or Warm Earth, or if
> she's non-aligned or whatever. Doesn't seem to matter for the characters.

I'm going to disagree. Most people know only that Esrolia is a matriarchy ruled by queen - if they even know Esrolia exists! I really doubt many folk outside of the Holy Country and Sartar know much more than "Esrolia is a matriarchy ruled by queens," just as I doubt many folk outside of the Empire can recite the various satrapies and provinces of the Lunar Empire.

For inspiration read Herodotus, Marco Polo or Ibn Battuta - these are best case examples, what you might get from a Lhankor Mhy or Irrippi Ontor sage. I do not think that Fay Jee has comparable scholarship!

As for merchant cities knowing much about the cultures they trade with - that is rarely the case as well. The Greeks were remarkably poorly informed about the "barbarians" they traded extensively with - even when half the Greek world were vassals to those "barbarians".

> I suspect everybody knows that Grandmothers have total power over their
> daugters, granddaugthers etc. But are they aware of political consequences ?

Again, I doubt that. I suspect that almost everyone in Maniria knows that there is an Esrolia. Most educated or interested folk knows it is ruled by queens. Beyond that only a few know. Keep in mind how little people know about folk outside their community.

> /// OK then. Anyway, the Mercheant Princes know good intelligence is the key to
> good business. They've had factors (aka spies) in Esrolia for a long time. They
> should know this.

Probably not. You'd be shocked how little traders usually knew about the lands they traded with.

Jeff