Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_XMEsYjyjWENL-74d9ntRNgUnXC2Rwryr22GLfqEx_8nrFYoDU_gPLDKnL0qQa-MO7vD>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:18:00 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_OEOzrBRCImd91kq9s60RskD8BTsxznW38U_4ljySew3zqRQ5ktjsvcN2CoBfPGDx4USqaqlwVAFHiutp0AyxaeW7.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> On 8/24/2010 1:25 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
> > The politics of the area are unclear to me, but a good mythic reason is
> that
> > Belintar has built an empire out of "elemental countries."
>
> I see the elemental countries as powering the magical body of Belintar/
> Holy Realm. There's precedent in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes p77 in which
> the elemental runes are described in those terms.

That's an interesting idea. So the Holy Country is, in a very real way, Belintar? When he is dismembered by the Lunar plot, the Holy Country begins falling apart into it's component parts, none of which work exactly as they should, since they have been subtly modified to work as a whole?

> In trying to decipher the politics, I looked at the known History of the
> Holy Country and was struck by what wasn't there. We don't seem to have
> any conflicts between the countries or even among officials.

Is it possible that Belintar somehow "locked" the individual parts of the Holy Country apart? So that there could still be conflict between Queens in Esrolia, for example, but not between Esrolians and Uz. That way, dissent and politics would all be essentially local and below the radar of what has been published so far. Which would give the Lunars a more developed reason for messing with the MLaD tournament -- by disrupting his artificial harmony, that allows more medium-scale dissatisfaction for the Empire to exploit. Without this, they would be stuck going to war with all of Esrolia, rather than allying with some queens and "helping them conquer" others....

Peter Larsen