Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_q0FlJEULKui-Qyq4Kvx5k3QvSgCs7u_527kRvk37D9_uGsupnRtDbNyviCHa1DadBkO->
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:46:02 -0000

I think it is a mistake to try to think in terms of modern states for how the Holy Country functions. It functions because it is united in the divine person of Belintar the Living God. How Belintar does this and what his goals are - those things are mysteries.

You know that there are multiple priesthoods of Belintar, each with different claims and rituals? Even the priests who offer sacrifices to Belintar do not agree as to his goals or origins! There are schools that study his words and actions in order to understand the Cosmos - naturally they disagree on matters of interpretation as well. There is even a school that holds that Belintar himself does not *know*!

Belintar has had children, has been male, female, and even uz, has even had markedly different personalities at time - but he is always Belintar and always knowing what Belintar must know and possessing Belintar's powers.

What all agree is that Belintar is extremely powerful, extremely knowledgable, and accepted by the gods and spirits of Kethaela. Sensible people offer him sacrifices, ceremonies, and worship - which he appreciates and give gifts in return. Sometimes he will summon someone to the City of Wonders and make a request of the summoned person ("build me a navy", "administer my treasures," "write down what I say," "govern the Sixth of Heortland," and so forth).

These people have set up various administrative bodies to carry out Belintar's requests. Governors, deputies, counts, dukes, and teams of scribes, priestly orders, and so forth exist to carry out Belintar's commands. These officials compete with each other (as is only natural) but almost never challenge Belintar's authority (with a few notable and illustrative examples).

Jeff