Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_zBRKteAGhSIgwEMiwie6-foaZwMrnODf884WYzi2WWPdXMgDZOIQ7r1NW5GJeQOV2zfb>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:14:13 -0000

> /// I love the way you mix the Living God of a shadowy Holy Realm and hard
> business, down-to-earth considerations. It's one of my favorite things about
> Glorantha. There are magics and Gods and goodies aplenty but in the end, you
> must never forget to get the crops in and pay your soldiers, God-King, Takenegi
> or whomever you are !

I (and Greg) tend to obsess about such things. That's why Sartar includes numbers of initiates (so that when someone proposes three clans that all worship Heler, I can say "hold on a second!"), why I run numbers for how many people where, and spend a lot of time thinking about where the food comes from.

> > different claims and rituals?
> /// I did not. This is useful and interesting information. Plenty of ideas to
> build a few Belintar cults : Belintor-Master-of-Darkness, Belintar the Learned,
> Belintar Great Swimmer, etc. He is, like Orlanth, too big to be understood fully
> by mortals - they need to focus on some aspect of his. Is that cool ?

Not so much aspects - lack of knowledge. Belintar says he is to be worshiped and here are the rites. Beyond that he says little about himself. He's not a great god like Orlanth - Belintar is a fairly minor god. But he is *here*. Wanna see Belintar? Go to the City of Wonders and go to his palace and wait in line. Even better, get invited to meet with him (or at least tag along in the entourage of a summoned visitor)!

> /// Yes, except obviously the initiate speaking above is from a wayward sect.
> The Living God-King does not encourage grovelling and humiliation. He wants us
> to become better, to reach higher. He is a demanding God, and the only way to
> fulfill these demands is in ourselves. Praise the Pharaoh (yeah, I'm from a sect
> that has always called Him Pharaoh) ;-)

The problem with the term "Pharaoh" is it carries WAY too much baggage. Belintar does not look Egyptian. Not at all. He is the Stranger, the God-King, and not "the Great House". God-King says everything the title needs and does not imply Belintar wearing a loincloth and a fake beard.

Jeff